Cory wanted sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast this morning. I cooked the sausage, made the gravy next. While that was simmering, I started the 'baking powder' biscuits. I added the flour, baking soda, salt, shortening and milk. I mixed and cut cute scalloped edge square biscuits. ( I like to be different) After I took them out of the oven I looked at them and wondered why they had not puffed up. Huh? Shelby and I then tasted them..........YUCK!!! They were so bitter.
First I thought it was because the shortening had expired. (I don't use it much) Now maybe you caught my mistake while reading this post, if not.......I'll tell you. I used baking soda instead of baking powder. LOL! I did not feel like starting over so I baked the canned stuff. Not as yummy but Cory was happiest to have his sausage gravy. :-)
We are going to camp at Sand Lake this weekend for Fathers day. I still have to pack cloths and food in the trailer but I'm sitting her in my P.J.'s., drinking my coffee. I woke up with a sore throat. :( I grabbed the zicam so hopefully I'll be cured soon.
I kinda of feel bad when I use the phrase 'we are going camping'. The kind of camping we do is not like the way others camp. As I'm sure you have seen in the pictures that I have posted of our sand trips, we have a big toy hauler trailer. We have all the comforts of home and love it. We have these things because we camp on the sand. The TV, DVD player and video games come in real handy when it's raining or windy. Because we are on the coast, you never know what the weather is going to be like. Besides, the kids can only dig in the sand for so long and then they are bored. I do pack board games and cards, and the kids do play them.
It's my vacation too, so whatever it takes to make my kids happy..........makes life happy for me.
We did not always camp this way. We started out in camp grounds, sleeping in the back of Randy's little pick up........with a baby!! Cory was just 12 weeks old on our first trip. It worked and we had fun. Next my Dad gave us a huge tent, that was great! Well, it was great once the stupid huge tent was up. Putting it up was not so fun. It was the old fashioned type with all the poles that had to match. Randy was not a happy camper. LOL! We cooked on a camp stove and I cooked all the typical camp out meals. I cooked and cleaned..........just like at home. Not so fun for me. We did have fun though with our friends and riding our quads. Then, we bought our firt toy hauler. Oh my goodness, I had died and gone to heaven. I was so happy to have all the room, a potty and shower! Oh yea, the refrigerator was great too. After using it for a couple of summers I started to really dislike the bunk bed that Randy and I shared. You could not lift your head or turn over without hitting the ceiling. The ladder was killer too.
After the third child came it was getting a bit crowed. We got lucky and someone we knew offered us our new trailer at a great price, he only had it for 2 yrs and did not use it much. OH happy day! We now have a real bedroom and 2 queen sized beds, along with another bed/couch,
A bigger bathroom, more storage, I wont go on but we are spoiled.
One down fall of having such a large trailer (34'), we can't camp at regular camp grounds with it, we don't fit. :-( My friend and her family camped at one of our favorites camp grounds this last weekend, I miss not being able to go there. We wont use a tent again, Randy had a bad back and I don't think he's willing to try it again. I'm not so sure I am either. Yes, spoiled.
Well, I better get busy or I wont get anything done. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and Happy Fathers day to all the Dads. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Even at 34', I bet you can still go into some of the state campgrounds. You would just need the pull-through sites, or the really long 45-50' sites. It might be something you would have to have someone preview campsites though. You would need to know the specific sites for turning and what not. :)
Hope you guys have a great time! We can't wait to go! (Two weeks from today!)
Post a Comment