Right now I'm in tears, I'm watching Oprah.
Lisa Ling is talking to people/families that were once doing great and are now homeless because of the economy. You never know what tomorrow brings, it can happen to ANYONE! It can happen to someone you know, it can happen to you. The little things we take for granted, a toilet to go potty in, a hot shower, privacy and food. We often get so busy in our life's that we forget about what others are going through.
I want to jump in my car and drive to Sacramento to help these people that she's been talking too, it's breaking my heart. Right now they are showing a home that had been foreclosed on being emptied by a company. This family had no way to take their belongings, they were left behind, only to be thrown in the trash. :( There are kids toys! Heart breaking, simple heart breaking.
I just can't believe that this is going on to families all around us. Another sad part is that the people are embarrassed so they don't tell anyone, they don't ask for help, not even their friends or family.
Yesterday I emailed a teacher at our local high school to see if he knew of a family that my Moms group could adopt. This teacher helped 250 families over the holidays. There was one family whose story really touched my sons heart as well as ours. I want to check up on them and see what we can do to help. People need help all year round, not just at Christmas.
I'm making my kids watch this episode of Oprah too. I think it's a good lesson and shows that we have so much to be thankful for. I hope it will touch them deep down in their hearts to want to help others.
I challenge you all to find someone to help, please. Their our families..........kids living on the streets! This is also a good lesson for the Financial peace going on at church. Do you NEED that, or is it a Want? Think about what's important to you. A roof over your head or dinner out. Food and a warm bed or a movie and popcorn or that big cup of Joe.
I'm guilty of spending, I love to shop. This show was a reminder that we don't know what tomorrow will bring. I know this all too well, when Randy was hurt at work and was off for 2 yrs. We were paid but then Workman's comp. decided to cut us off with no warning. We were 4 months with NO income. It was very humbling and I learned a lot. I learned also to be very frugal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I blogged about the economy today too. Maybe I should watch the show. I am feeling more angry than anything. I think everyone should have the basics. Those with more should have to take pay cuts. I am talking about those with more than $50,000 - $75,000 a year in salary. I think alot of higher paid jobs don't see things the same way as lower paid families do. Maybe I am just simple minded and don't get the big picture?
Sorry, have to disagree with you there, Randy makes much more than that and we still just get by. I don't think we should have to pay more. Especially since lots of peope are in trouble because of poor judgement on their part.
I have to add.........
Randy and others like him, work their butts off for the money they make. He's been at the same job for over 20 yrs. Why should he be punished and have to pay more for being responsible? Sorry if I sound angry, I guess that way of thinking does hit a nerve with me.
Some people are victims of circumtance, as we fell into hard times when he was off work. We did have a huge savings acct though. We used it all and are working towards building a new one...for emergancies. It's all about planning and being careful, making the right choices. We learned some many lessons about life, money etc and how need VS. want makes a huge difference.
Gracious........get me on a roll and there goes my spelling. LOL
*for those who did not know..Randy was hurt at work and was out for 2 yrs. He's back now and took a huge pay cut. Not his choice.....just the way it is. The company is trying to save moeny. SUCKS!
Post a Comment