Thursday, April 09, 2009

Kids and sharing or............not

I have always taught my kids to share and to be kind to people. Well, now I'm wanting to take the sharing part back. It seems that on a daily basis, the girls friends are always begging for their food. When they ask, my kids give. HELLO...........I'm not buying groceries to feed the kids at school. I feel kind of guilty for telling my kids to keep their own food, after I have told them in the past that it's nice to share, especially when a person does not have much. I'm annoyed now!
Everyday, my kids go without because they give their lunch away. URGH! They do eat most of their lunch, just not all. Some rude kids have gone so far as to just take what they want. URGH!!
What's a Mom to do? LOL
I have not blogged much lately because my dear computer had a virus. I think that she's fine now but I've had to re-install everything. Hassle! I could not get my AOL to download, I've been going through withdrawls. LOL
So glad to be back.
Diane

4 comments:

crftymama3 said...

The lunch issue is a big issue around here too. We make too much to qualify for even reduced lunch. YET, the kids on FREE lunch want my kids food. My kids have had to learn to tell them NO. I tell my kids, that if they want something in their lunch, they get to choose it first. If they don't want it, they are to put it back in the lunch box. I just can't afford (and shouldn't feel quilty about not) feeding every other kid, when those kids are choosing to not eat what they are being GIVEN.
Yes, there is a point to helping others, and sharing. BUT... just because one person has something, it doesn't mean that they owe the next person the same.
We often hand out water or granola bars to the homeless. Just because we have something in the car as we pass them when they have a sign asking... should I feel obligated to give?

Diane said...

It's not the kids who are on reduced lunch that are bugging my kids. Kids just are not taught good manners anymore. I'm totally fine with sharing once in a while, it's against school rules though. But when the kids beg and beg every day......urgh! For example, one girl as been eating Hayleys string cheees everyday! I have no idea how long I've been buying string cheese for this kid. LOL

Diane said...

should I feel obligated to give?

Well, the bible says yes.

Jess and Jodie Bergers said...

It doesn't stop at school....how about after school when they all show up on my doorstep and want snacks!! I found Aric once handing out Caprisuns to the entire neighborhood. When I asked WHAT he was doing...he simply said they were thirsty and asked if they could have one!!