Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Viruses

I have learned a bit about viruses and the damage that they can do lately. We have all had the cold and flu viruses but did you know that there are many and that they can cause REAL damage? Some viruses can kill you, some can cause cancer as well as other life long illnesses. Viruses cause cell damage! Cells repair themselves most of the time but sometimes can't and mutate. ACK!!
Even though my family always gets a flu shot every year, we still got hit with a flu virus this year but thank GOD we did get the vaccine or it could have been worse. Poor Cory had a high fever and was so sick; he missed a week of school. He only got up once a day to go to the bathroom. I got the parvo virus. No, not like dog; it's the human kind. Here is some info:
Fifth disease, also known as erythema infectiosum, is a viral illness caused by human parvovirus B19. The term “fifth disease” refers to the fifth of the 6 rash-associated diseases of childhood.

Symptoms

Parvovirus B19 commonly causes a “slapped-cheek” rash on the face and, less commonly, fever, headaches, sore throat and joint pain. In adults, it may cause arthralgias (painful joints) in addition to the characteristic skin rash. These symptoms are more common in adult women than in men. They usually last for 2-4 weeks but may persist for months.

I did not have the rash but I did get the joint pain. I hurt from head to toe, even my fingers hurt. I'm telling you, it was worse the child birth! This pain lasted for 2 weeks. 800mg. of motrin would not even touch it. I wanted to die...........really.
I was told since it was a virus that antibiotics would not work, I had to wait it out. I've been waiting and waitng and waiting. The pain went away but lingered in both wrists and then my hip. I had blood work done that showed I still had the virus and I now had rheumatoid arthritis.WHAT? I'm too young! I have been really depressed because it hurt so much to do the simplest of things. I had another blood test last week. My ANA levels were down 75%, that is a good thing. I'm also feeling much less pain and my hip pain has pretty much gone away. My doctor now feels that the 'virus' caused the joint pain and I don't have the RA. YEA! It can take months for the pain to go away though, it's already been 1 1/2. URGH! One good thing is that I will not get this again. My body will build up an immunity to it. Shelby got this from me, she just had the red cheeks and runny nose.
A local boy died last year from a virus, the stupid thing went to his heart and killed him; he died in his father's arms. A few kids have died this year because of the flu virus. My virus did not go to my heart, instead it went to my joints. We just don't know where it's going to go. Most to the time we are OK after a few days.
I have to admit, I'm afraid now when my kids get sick. I know that I have to trust God but their my babies! Some tips for you.........get a flu vaccine every year!! (kids too) Keep your immune system healthy! Read the book, 'YOU STAYING YOUNG' by Dr.OZ and Dr. Roizen, full of info that will amaze you.
On a side note, my thyroid hormone level is high. huh? Could that be the reason why I kick but to lose weight and can't??? YES, said my doctor. Now we are going to try to fix that. :-)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Feel better, Diane. I guess until I read your post, I have never thought of it that way. Thanks for sharing. You definately gave me something to think about next time we are sick.