I have decided to really watch my spending this month. I actually have been careful but I know that I can do better. I'm mainly going to focus on my grocery spending this month (June) and see how low I can keep it. I used to just toss what ever into my shopping cart and then a friend of mine told me to record my amounts each trip. OH MY GOODNESS, I was spending about $1,200.00 a month or more. YIKES! If you don't believe me, take the test yourself. My friend also did this and was shocked. I got my grocery spending down to about $600.00 a month for a family of 5; I know I can do better. I'm kind of excited, it's a challange and I hate to lose. LOL!
I will record my spending here and most likely bore you with it........tough. :-)~
Today is June 2nd.
Costco -
Turkey breakfast sausage
Pot stickers
Cascade dish washing soap
Tuna
Grand Total, Shoot, lost the reciept. I think it was around $30.00
Albertson's - (I usually only shop the sale items here but with gas prices, I only needed a few
items and did not want to drive to Winco)
Bunch of bananas
Dannon light yogurt
chicken grill packs (2 at .59 cents lb........ya, great deal!)
Oreo's (OK, not so healthy but I had a coupon for $1.00 off)
gallon of fat free milk
Budding Turkey packages (big ones, buy one get one free)
Package of cubed pork from the discount bin for $1.50 :-)
Grand Total $26.64
We have a well stocked pantry and freezer, I should be able to come up with some great meals without breaking the bank this month............I hope.
Tonight is $5.00 pizza night, so I'll get the kids a pepperoni pizza for dinner.
Leave me a comment if you want to join me in my challenge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
What a great idea Diane!
I am basically doing the same thing, and started last week. I am not going to walmart anymore... only because I spend too easily.
I am going shopping at Save-a-lot and Winco. I am also shopping in one trip, rather then going on the way home from work or in the evening, etc.
I spent only $48 at winco and $2.38 at Albertsons. I have cereal forever (20 boxes) and actually am getting back to cooking at home. I baked a whole chicken last night. I made mashed potatoes from scratch and opened a can of corn. I will be using the leftover chicken and corn for soup tonight!! adding carrots and potatoes to the pot. I will also try putting mashed potatoes into the water at the end to thicken it a bit. :)
Grocery Game ladies! LOVE IT! I am always up for a $$ challenge. I have been spending like a drunken sailor lately,oops!
I did the grocery game and saved big for a couple of weeks. I then did not see many items that we would use and so I cancele my membership. I once again have started to collect coupons to maybe try again.
Drunken sailer huh, Liane? LOL
:-)
Great thrifty meal, Rebecca! Sounds yummy!
How big is your family? Are you a coupon clipper? Check out www.thegrocerygame.com. I was a grocery store manager for several years and watched women follow this program and save HUNDREDS of dollars per month. It's based on the principal of only buying something when it's on sale AND there's a coupon. As a result, you'll stock your pantry and save big bucks. There's $1 4-week trial period and after that it's $10 for 8 weeks. For something similar (not as good) but free, try www.couponmom.com. Good luck!
Post a Comment