Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Smoothies


My family loves smoothies. Smoothies can be really healthy but can also be very high in sugar and not so healthy. I have been experimenting with different healthy add ins, my kids have not even noticed. :-) Below are the fruits and things that I use in our smoothies:
frozen fruit, such as strawberries, peaches, blue berries, banana's, etc. I buy the strawberries and blue berries at Costco. The bananan's I flash freeze as well as the other fruit.
Orange juice concentrate
non fat frozen yogurt or non fat vanilla or plain yogurt.
Soy protien powder (2 Tbs per serving) They don't even know they are getting protien. Sneaky!
sometimes I also will add finely ground oatmeal. I do this in the blender, blend until it's a fine powder. This way I can add some fiber without them knowing. Hee hee
crushed ice
non fat milk or juice
I have a new link under recipes on my side bar for hundreds of smoothie recipes.
I've been making the kids smoothies for breakfast and for snacks. I have very picky eaters, so I feel good about letting them drink up. One other thing, you can make smoothies ahead of time and freeze in plastic containers! Just take out and thaw on the counter for a few minutes. YUM!
Hope you enjoy the recipes.

No comments: