Friday, January 15, 2010

I just don't get it.........

Lately I've been wondering what is wrong with parents these days.
I volunteer in my daughters 2nd grade class once a week. Yesterday we were going over vocab words. One word was 'snoop'. I asked my group what it meant. They all knew and then began telling me that they snoop in their siblings rooms all the time. One little girl said she snoops in her Moms room all the time. My kids would be in so much trouble if they snooped! ( I can snoop in their room, just to clarify, I'm the parent) :)
Anyway, Shelby looked at me in surprise at what these kids were saying. I explained to the kids (probably not my job) that snooping was disrespectful and that they should not do it. They just laughed at me. I'm telling you, each week I get a hand full of info from this group. Do parents not teach kids respect for others, for their belongings for themselves etc. I don't get it!

This one really blew me over.

I got a phone call on my cell phone yesterday. I did not answer it, it said 'restricted' number. Now, anyone that I want to need to talk to would be on my caller ID.
I got home and Randy said my friend called to see if I would watch her kid and that he told her to call my cell phone. I'm thinking, it could not have been any of my friends, who the heck was it? Randy was half asleep when he answered the phone so he did not get clear info. He did say that the lady was a parent of Shelby's friend from class and that he thought the name was 'Logan'. Well, there is a Logan in her class but I don't know his Mom, have never met her. I think I did see her at the Harvest party but I never talked to her.
She told Randy that she needed me to watch her child because she had to work late and daycare was going to charge her a lot. I then recieved 3 more calls on my cell with the same restricted number.....just 2 min apart!
I could not call the number back, since it was restricted.( My phone was in my car so I did not get it when she called again.)
I kind of feel bad, she had to have been in a bind to call me.......a stranger to watch her kid right? I don't understand. I would never have called someone I did not know to watch my child. Certainly she had someone to call.
Oh well.

OK onto the third thing that's really got me bothered.

I had to pick my son (15) from his girls friends church on Tuesday evenning. I was held up and called to let him know I'd be a few min. late. I get there and he is standing there........all by himself.......in the dark........alone. Not one person, not one car, not one light. OK, there was a small light by the front door.
I asked where his girlfriend was. He said that her Mom had come to pick her up. She left him there! I would NEVER have left a kid or adult alone, in the dark. I would have stayed until that persons ride showed up. For crying out loud, what is wrong with people??? My son got upset with me for being upset with his girlfriends Mom. Whatever! I had a talk with him about being considerate of others, a lesson that is taught to my kids daily. I do believe that I have good kids who know better. I believe that they are going to grow up to be good considerate people. I just wish other parents would do the same. Wow, what a wonderful world this would be if we all cared and looked out for eachother.

Have a great day everyone!
Diane

No comments: